Latest News From The Park

Come See Our New Exhibits

There are two new, ongoing exhibits in the manor house. One is a display of significant findings from the manor house west wing architectural review.  The west wing is the oldest (circa 1810) part of Mount Aventine.  Included in the display is a diagram of the proposed "kitchen museum".
 
20160731 121202sherdsThe other exhibit is a display of native American artifacts in the visitor's center. The artifacts are from the collection of the late "Tex" Richards of Indian Head, MD, and have been loaned to the Friends for display by his son Don Richards and Jack McGuire. The artifacts; including pottery sherds, projectile points, arrow heads and unusualy stone tools; were collected along the Mattawoman Creek in Pomonkey, Mason Springs, and Indian Head.

Smoke House "Ghost Sturcture"

20160529 152309Roman Morgan and BSA Troop 1780 have constructed a "ghost structure" of the 1840 smoke house that existed at Mount Aventine. The structure will be an integral part of an exhibit on food preparation and technology at the manor house being developed by the Friends of Chapman State Park. When completed the exhibit will include a kitchen museum with a display of appliances and tools used during 1he 1850's as well as their modern counterparts.
 
Roman is a 2016 graduate of North Point High School in Waldorf. He said he combined his interest in carpentry and history to research and construct the smoke house.
 

FCSP Awarded Southern Maryland Heritage Areas Consortium Grant

Mt. Aventine West WingFriends of Chapman State Park was awarded a grant from Southern Maryland Heritage Areas Consortium to create a visitor’s display about the history and architecture of the west wing of Mount Aventine, the oldest part of the mansion. This wing, which was constructed as a free standing building circa 1810, is the last dressed stone structure in Charles County that predates the Civil War and is possibly the only example of its kind in southern Maryland.