The Program Committee has released the following information on programs for the upcoming park season at Chapman State Park.
Volunteers are needed and welcome to participate in programs, planning, as docents and "back room" workers. Please contact us through the website if you are interested in working with us.
The Program Committee..
SCHEDULE OF 2016 PROGRAMS AT CHAPMAN STATE PARK
Chapman State Park is open each day, dawn to dusk, for walk in visitors. We plan to keep the Mount Aventine Manor House open each Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00 during the park season (April 1-October 31) for tours.
In addition, special programs are scheduled for the following dates. Programs are held at the manor house unless noted:
- April 10: "Birding and Bluebells" Southern Maryland Audubon Society will conduct an introduction to birding, including a trail walk to look for Spring migrants and enjoy the beautiful Chapman's bluebell trail. Please see the calendar entry for details.
- April 24: Annual Membership Meeting
- May 1: Open House, featuring performance by renowned singer/songwriter Lynne Hollyfield, accompanied by bass player Steve Wolf. Performance begins at 3:30, rain or shine.
- May 15: Antebellum Tea at Mount Aventine, featuring music, fabulous food and more. Reservations required, $35 donation requested. Call Jennifer at 240-472-1384..
- June 12: "Drummers in the Park." A performance by this group in 2015 was a real highlight of the music series, and is expanded to be even better this season. More details to follow.
- June 19: "The Countess Bessenyey." Maureen Lipscke, a research associate with the Daly museum in Montana, will present the program she developed for the museum, and delivered there in January. (The museum is the former home family of Margit Bessenyey a Hungarian countess who was the last private owner of Mt. Aventine.)
Please check our calendar frequently for updates and additional events.